Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Penny Black Christmas at Dusk card challenge

I am so excited. I am the winner of the Penny Black Christmas at Dusk Card challenge. Ok, so it was a random drawing of all the entrants but I am very excited none the less.
These are the fabulous stickers that my friend Jill Foster created for Penny Black. They are "Christmas at Dusk:
 
Hence the name of the challenge. If you have never tried or seen a Penny Black sticker sheet, I urge you to get some (My favorite store Mementos can help you with that, check out the link to the right).

These aren't your child's stickers. these are art with an adhesive back. The colors are so brilliant and beautiful and the variety is wide. Check out what Jill did with the stickers, she is so talented. (you'll need to scroll thru some of her other beautiful cards to the bottom of the blog page, but I think you'll enjoy it


After looking at Jill's cards, I was stumped, what she did with the cards was very similar to what I had envisioned doing with them. So, I had to put on my thinking cap and try to "think outside the box" or in this case "think outside the sticker sheet"
     
I tried to do something different on each card. Card number one has a tone on tone background using distress ink. What I did different with the sticker was to trim the sentiment so that only the words remain. I also distressed the bird sticker, added distress ink and glossy accents on the bird.
  

Card #2, the ornaments, I used glossy accents to give the ornaments dimension. I stamped Happy Holidays using Staz On. You have to use Staz On on the glossy sticker or the ink will rub right off. The background was embossed with a Sizzex embossing folder, I sanded it so that the white of the paper showed thru then used distress ink, walnut, to cut the brightness.
   

Card #3 is my favorite. The smallest sticker was 1 1/2 inches wide, which dictated the size of the squares. I cut 1 1/2 inch squares out of 4 completely  different stickers/designs. This works because all of the stickers on this page are the same tone and color family. I popped them up on black Bazzil cardstock and I used my Tim Holtz ruler to space the holes around the edge to add dimension and finally, it's not finished without some type of bling. :)


Hope you have fun thinking outside the box too. TTFN, Peg

2 comments:

  1. I still cannot believe that these are stickers! Beautifully done Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love each and every one of your cards, my friend! The last one is my favorite too. Matting them on cardstock is such a nice touch. (Oh, and BTW, I just love reading your posts- so fun!) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete