Sunday, October 16, 2011

Old stamp new techniques

This week has been so much fun, but I found out that I really don't like it when my work interferes with my blog!

I don't know about you, but I keep my stamps forever, even if I don't think I'll ever use them again. But recently I have started pulling some of my old scene stamps out an playing with new techniques, products and papers.

I've had this stamp for 10+ years. This card is an example of how I usually used it.Ten years ago, markers were very basic, created saturated color and  rarely had shades to create shadows, so I used water color pencils to color the individual components. I used pop dots to layer it over frayed burlap and printed paper. I adhered a twine bow. The overall look has a country feel.
Card #2 uses Copic Markers, Tim Holtz distress inks and Tiny Stapler, Glossy Accents, and super fine twine.
Even though the  stamp colors are very similar to the original, using the Copic Markers and stamping a custom background, this card, had different layers, dimension and the overall esthetic is less "country".
I love the distress inks for creating backgrounds. By using different colors and the blending tool, you can match any other color or ink source. The blanket is made from Copic BG18 teal blue, the background is a base of broken china with a light layer of shabby shutters (green) and another layer of broken china on top. The key to this is the right paper (Tiara White) and to keep the ink moving, don't let it dry, it will blend smoothly if you do.
Thanks for visiting, hope you come back soon. TTFN,  Peg

1 comment:

  1. Love the color you created for that background! Great coloring on the main image, too!

    ReplyDelete